Mother nature is in full bloom and this is a beautiful time of year! But for some, seasonal changes make it difficult to be present and enjoy the outdoors. You are not alone if seasonal changes make you a sniffing, sneezing, teary-eyed mess! I have been there, and I am here to share with you some ways to support your body's natural response (all the praise hands)!
As with this whole essential oil lifestyle, you must stay consistent. Research, use, see what works for you, and keep on using it, consistency is KEY!
Today we are going to be talking about how we can help our bodies fight off those seasonal reactions, the natural way!
First, let's talk about what's going on beneath the skin and how we can use essential oils to promote a strong, "well" body, even in spring.
The Mayo Clinic defines an allergy as “a condition in which the immune system reacts abnormally to a foreign substance.” These foreign substances can be pollen, household products, fragrances, or other common allergens that are abundant this time of year. Typically we are given otc medications, and antihistamines, to keep the sneezes and watery eyes at bay. Unfortunately, those medications come with side effects like dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, restlessness or moodiness, trouble peeing, blurred vision, and confusion, um no thank you.
Instead of masking the symptoms, if we focus on supporting the root issue we will find long-term support and positive change.
Spoiler-alert, we can do that with oils and products.
As I shared above, consistency will be the most important thing you can do, and try out a few recipes to see which ones you respond best to!
So without further ado…your seasonal recipe line up!
This is the OG roller blend when it comes to springtime (or anytime!!) sinus survival. The base recipe is Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint. Start there and add any other oils listed as desired to suit your specific needs!
• 10mL roller bottle https://amzn.to/3lwWBcm
• 10-20 drops each Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint
• Other great oils to add: Copaiba, Dorado, Azul, Ledum, DiGize, R.C., Raven
• Roll over the chest, under the nose, and over the sinus cavities as desired. Take care when using near the eyes and dilute more if desired. If you get it too close to your eyes, simply apply coconut oil over the area.
AllerZyme is a huge support tool when it comes to respiratory needs. This enzyme complex is specifically designed for individuals with dietary or environmental seasonal issues! Take one capsule up to three times daily before a meal or as desired. AllerZyme works best for pollen support when you start it a few days or a week before the acute needs rise if possible. If you know it’s coming, start giving your body support as early as possible.
Lavender Copaiba Nasal Rinse
Grab your Neti-pot and whip up your own oil-infused sinus rinse. If you are new to using essential oils or a sinus rinse, decrease the number of essential oil drops by half. You can always add more as desired.
• 10 drops Lavender essential oil
• 15 drops Copaiba essential oil
• 8 Tbsp of ultra-fine salt (unprocessed, no iodine)
• Mix well and store in a sealed glass jar. Dissolve 1 tsp of the salt mixture into 1 & 1/2 cups of distilled water (or water from a Berkey filter or boil and cool some water), then add to your Neti pot and use as needed.
• Use morning and afternoon during acute needs and use once daily for maintenance during peak season.
Sinus Support Steam Pot
When you’re needing some relief from the pressure that spring can cause your sinuses, give this tried and true trick a go.
• Bowl of very hot, steaming water
• 2-3 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
• 2-4 drops Dorado Azul Essential Oil
• Add essential oils to the water (start with the lower end and add more as desired). Place a towel over your head and sit with your head above the steam bath to open the airways.
• Don’t have these oils? Others that will work include Raven, R.C., any variety of Eucalyptus, PanAway, DiGize, Lemon, Thieves, Oregano, and Rosemary in any combination.
Happy Noses Roller
This is a great roller to use anytime you need some sinus relief, but it is really lovely after doing the sinus steam pot. These oils are also wonderful in an Epsom salt bath when you’re battling the pollen or changing air quality.
• 10mL roller bottle https://amzn.to/3lwWBcm
• 20 drops each Dorado Azul, Idaho Blue Spruce
• 10 drops DiGize, R.C.
• 5 drops Peppermint
• Roll over the sinus cavities as desired. Take care when using near the eyes and dilute more if desired. If you get it too close to your eyes, simply apply coconut oil over the area. (And no, you didn’t read that wrong! DiGize is actually a wonderful tool when it comes to respiratory needs!)
DIY Season’s Change Capsules
Make using your Vitality oils easy with this simple hack. This combination is the original Lavender Lemon Peppermint blend with a little extra boost from Copaiba to make it even more supportive of the respiratory system and sinuses!
• 2oz glass dropper bottle https://amzn.to/384zX83
• 30 drops each Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Copaiba Vitality
• Olive oil to desired dilution (about 2 Tbsp)
• When you’re ready to make a capsule, fill an empty vegetable capsule with a dropperful of the blend and take as desired.
You can grab empty vegetable capsules here:: XPRS Nutra Size 1 Empty Capsules - Empty Vegan Capsules - Capsules Express Vegetarian Empty Pill Capsules- DIY Vegetable Capsule Filling- Veggie Pill Capsules Empty Caps (100 Count, Clear) https://amzn.to/3lxmtVe
Changing Seasons Oral Spray
This little bottle will be your springtime companion! Applying oils topically and diffusing are great health habits, but there is even more benefit to using oils as dietary supplements. Try out this Changing Seasons Oral Spray to give your respiratory system a little TLC anytime you need it.
• 10mL glass spray bottle https://amzn.to/3LwVwvG
• 1 drop each Lavender Vitality, Copaiba Vitality, Peppermint Vitality
• 2 drops Orange Vitality, Lemon Vitality
• Splash Thieves Mouthwash, optional
• Filtered water
• Add all ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Spritz into your mouth daily or as desired.
One of the most powerful things we can do for our health is to balance and support our gut! Many today consider regularly taking a high-quality probiotic to be one of the core pieces to overall health - respiratory, brain, immune, skin health, and more. Everything we eat or drink is sent through our digestive system. Every single thing we put into our bodies to give our cells energy passes through this system, so supporting it daily can give us huge benefits!
Hope these tips help you make it through these changing seasons without all the . We started using these recipes five years ago when we moved from California to Missouri and my husband and children developed seasonal issues with the coming of Fall and then again in the Spring. Diffusing the oils together in our home helps a lot, adding the topical applications and oral use options gives them all so much relief. The best part is that there aren't any side effects.
Here is a testimonial from my friend Sara. My personal story with seasonal issues is WHY I started using essential oils. I had chronic breathing issues (seasonal, sinus infections, asthma, and more) My goal as I trekked into the world of essential oils and Young Living was to get off of my medication and not feel horrible every day. I was successful! I dropped every medication I was on and I started helping my body be healthier from the inside out! I now have been medication-free with NO asthma, no seasonal upsets, and zero health issues for 11 years!
If you have struggled with seasonal issues and want to stop the sneezing, sniffling, and teary eyes click here to get started now.
As always, feel free to reach out with any questions at all!